Monday, March 2, 2015

Day Two. (Yep, I titled it by the day number. The days haven't started running together just yet.)

Our goals for Day two.... Remove the wall of doors separating the living room and dining room.  Strip the kitchen cabinets.  And clean the brick in living room and kitchen.  Turns out we may have been a little over zealous in the making of our list.  I got most of the wall removed but hit a snag and ran out of energy.  I have been fighting a sinus infection all weekend.  Deb and Cole got all the cabinet doors removed and Deb got a good start stripping them.  I think I remember seeing Deb with a can of oven cleaner heading towards the brick, but for all practical purposes none of the brick got cleaned yesterday.
 
So here is the wall of doors.  The story is they came out of a funeral home in town that my Great Uncle Herbert tore down in the early 60's.  As best as we can tell, the house they came out of was built around 1908.  And no, we most definitely are not getting rid of the doors, we just haven't quite decided exactly how we want to repurpose them yet.
 

 
I polished up a couple of the panels on one door with Orange Glo just to see how pretty they are.


 
This is the dining room side.

 
One gone...

 
Two gone...

 
Three gone...

 
All gone.

 
What a difference!  It made the house look even better than we anticipated.  The space seems to have more than doubled in size and it actually brightened up the room considerably.  One of our thoughts was to strip and refinish the walls, but after opening the room up, the light really started playing around and the walls now seem lighter.

 
Surprise, I didn't think I got any pictures of Deb working on the cabinets but looky here!


 
I still have to remove the door frame and I will do that as soon as I figure out what to do with the electrical stuff that is there.  And then we have to cleanup the cap on the bottom of the beam that the doors and trim were nailed to.

1 comment: