Saturday, September 19, 2015

I'm going to try to do better.

I knew it had been a while since I posted on here, but it wasn't until I went looking for a picture a couple of days ago that I realized how far behind I was.  We are getting really close to finishing this house up and moving in. 
 
Labor Day weekend we got quite a bit more done on the bedroom and bathroom.  We put a floodlight outside the bedroom door.  Worked on finishing the bedroom walls.  And tried to get started trimming both rooms.  And then my back went out...  I had the first tinge of pain Sunday evening as we were finishing up.  I got up Monday morning and got started working on the trim while Deb had her coffee and got woke up good.  She wasn't up there long before I almost found myself face down on the floor.  So, while she finished the painting in the bathroom trim and bedroom walls, I spent my day on the couch.
 
 
We were able to salvage more of the original tongue and groove vee boards that were removed to build the bathroom.  So, we used them to finish the wall around the outside door.
 
 
The bathroom is almost finished.  We still have to lay the tile, hook the water up, and plumb the toilet into the sewer.  Once the tile is down and the closet door is installed, we can order our carpet and the bedroom will be finished.
 
 
Somehow we managed to keep up with the original window trim and after trimming each piece down 1/4 inch, sanding them and restaining them they fit right back into place.

 
This was our first go around with crown molding.  After a half an hour of trial and error, Deb found the settings for the miter saw on Dewalt's website and it went fairly smoothly from there.  Any slightly off cuts were easily covered up by caulk.

 
We got the shower rod and curtain hung as well.

 

After spending two days off work laying on my recliner, I spent the rest of the week babying my back and waited until the weekend to get back after it.  Deb worried over me all weekend trying to keep me from doing too much.
 
We decided to trim the top of the bedroom/bathroom wall with a faux beam to match the beams on the vaulted ceiling.  I had just finished cutting it out and was sanding it when my back decided I was through for the week.  She got it and the baseboards for the bathroom sanded and stained and left them to dry until I was able to climb a ladder again.
 
I had to work Saturday morning.  Neither of us felt very good Saturday afternoon.  I was still a little weak and Deb was fighting an ear infection for the 3rd or 4th day.  However, we did manage to get the faux beam nailed into place.  We also located the trim we took off the door we removed to build the bathroom and nail it up around the new outside door.  It was a perfect fit.
 
 
Sunday we cut the rest of the baseboards and trim out.  Deb got them sanded and we left them to dry.  Tuesday we managed to get all of it nailed into place.
 
 


 
I had two of the trim pieces from the beams over the bathroom which we were able to trim and put back up over the entry way.  A little bit of stain where the were cut and they should look like they were put there in 1960.
 
 
 
It looks like this weekend is going to be another down on our knees set of projects.  We have a hundred or so feet of quarter round to get cut, stained and nailed down.  And we really need to get the bathroom tiled so we can get on the schedule for carpet.  So, off we go.  I hope you have enjoyed another episode of Corey and Deb's house renovation follies.  Be back soon!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment