Sunday, August 2, 2015

Procrastination...


I am the world's worst procrastinator (we both are).  HEE HEE HEE! Deb has learned how to hijack Corey's posts!!!When I have a project to do, I really hate to do a little bit at a time.  So, I end up putting off til tomorrow what I could do today.  This week was no exception.  I could have put the drain and overflow in the shower any given evening this past week.  I could have hooked up the electric to the breaker box during the week.  BUT I didn't.  All of Cole's furniture finally arrived Thursday, and when I got home Thursday evening, Deb and Cole were hard at it putting the pieces together.  We spent Thursday and Friday evenings putting Cole's furniture together.  Cole is ready to start sleeping at the new house.  But we won't let him.  He asked why and we told him it is because we make the payments and we will sleep there first.
His room is ready to go.  He wanted carpet on his floor, but we denied him that one thing.  I think his room has turned out beautiful.  Those floors!  Am I right?


There was an estate sale this weekend in town.  I snagged an old Singer sewing machine for Deb's sewing room. This will be the third antique Singer!


We had to meet our good friend Odie in town Saturday afternoon, so I had a hard time getting going.  While we waited for his call, we gathered up trash and some things to take to Beehive.  After we met him and got back home, we decided some pool time was in order so we wasted the rest of the afternoon floating in the pool.  It was a good afternoon for it. We have been terrible pool "parents" this summer. Poor thing was nasty. I spent 3 hours getting it all cleaned up Saturday morning, so the afternoon was hard to resist.

Sunday morning, we got up and got to work on the master bathroom.  After hooking up some temporary lighting, we started insulating the walls.  We did the outside walls for energy reasons and the inside walls for sound control.



Before finishing the insulation, I laid down on the job... I'll keep my comment clean...the VIEW! I had to get the drain and overflow hooked up on the tub before finishing the insulation. 


After the insulation was in, it was time for sheetrock.  Cole was a huge help.  He's been coming around to help more.  I think he has noticed the light at the end of the tunnel growing too.


We started with the ceilings.  If you look closely, you can see where I almost cut the hole for the light box in the wrong place.  Thankfully, Deb spotted my error before I cut it out.  We remeasured (after some discussion) and cut the hole in the right spot.



After the rock was on the ceiling, we installed the LED light fixtures.


I am so looking forward to having a light directly over the shower.  Maybe I am weird, but oh well. OK let me explain. For the past 17 years, we have been showering in a corner shower that has NO LIGHT. The light fixture in our current bathroom is too far away. This is why I still have paint on the backs of my arms after trying to wash it off.


Here we are cutting out the window.  We learned a valuable lesson about sheetrock when we were rocking the closet, so I bought a sheetrock saw to do the bathroom.




So here it is.  We still have some more rock to hang, but our goal today was to get the rock ready to be able to install the vanity before we put the pocket door frame in.  We accomplished that today.


 One of our worries throughout this renovation has been not wanting the house to be too dark.  The wood throughout the house when we bought it gave it a dark feel.  Even the bathroom felt dark until today.  With the blue, mildew and mold resistant sheetrock, the bathroom really brightened up.  (I'm sure the 1,100 lumen LED fixtures didn't hurt anything either.)

We bought a pendant light fixture, identical to the one in the front hallway, to put in the entry way to the master suite.  We will get it put up after we rock the bedroom walls.



Somehow, I only managed to ruin one sheet of sheet rock doing the bathroom.  But we aren't going to talk about that. (insert giggles)

Deb picked up a couple of things at the estate sale.  Our favorite is the fleur de lis candle holder.


It should compliment this wall hanging Deb bought nicely. Yes, yes it will...


The company we bought our cabinet hinges from had some other items we found interesting.  We originally had bought hidden hinges but the were going to be a pain to install.  So we found some that will work out much better.  They worked with us to exchange the ones we bought a while back and we stumbled upon this neat door knocker on their website.


These are the hinges we ended up settling on.


Samantha has been coming around to help some too.  She says she is going to need a room to sleep in on Christmas Eve.  Here is how her room is turning out.  Deb had some valances she had been hanging onto for the last 15 or 20 years that she hung in Sam's room.



So this is where we are.  We have to finish the sheetrock in the master bath and bedroom.    Install, the vanity and medicine cabinet. Finish the plumbing in the master bath.  Tile the bathroom and kitchen.  Have the carpet put in the master bedroom.  Finish the kitchen cabinets.   Install the new counter tops and back splash in the kitchen.  A few other minor things.  And then it is get moved in!


No comments:

Post a Comment